Every time I leave the house to go to a master gardener meeting, my husband Stan tells our sons that what I’m really doing there is conga lines. And do you know what? Even though we’re not literally doing conga lines, we might as well be–that’s how fun it is to meet with other master gardeners. Garden clubs are great (and mine is the the best), but any group of master gardeners is like a garden club on steroids. These are people who are just as crazy about growing plants as I am! Imagine that.
And so what could be more fun than going to a master gardener meeting? Having a bunch of master gardeners come to your garden, that’s what! This year I put my little garden on our county’s Master Gardeners Garden Walk. I worked and worked and weeded and watered and angsted for weeks, including the killer heat wave week right before the walk. Then I spent two days showing off my garden and talking to the 172 people who came through, all of them speaking my language, gardening. It was thoroughly exhausting. Even my voice was tired, and I fell into bed by 9 PM both nights. Yes, it was a TOTAL BLAST!! Then a few days later more master gardeners came by, and I got to see a few of the other gardens that had been on the walk.
Now I’m enjoying the aftermath–a beautiful garden that is in the best shape it ever was. Plus I got a t-shirt and a nice commemorative plate. And I’m working on getting friends over to enjoy the fabulous floriferous deck with me. What a great garden year this is!
PICTURES FROM THIS GARDEN WALK:
- Front Yard Perennial Garden (12) – The most recently added ornamental garden
- Utility Area (9) – Behind the scenes of the magic
- Kitchen Garden (63) – My pride and joy, the area I’ve been working the longest
- Container Garden (24) – My favorite place to relax and enjoy my garden
- Cottage Style Flower Garden (14) – My first ornamental beds
- The Big Event Itself (11) – Pictures taken while the garden walk was going on